January 29, 2009

Past Lives Re-visited Through An E-mail Inbox.


"I can't make you walk away. I can't wash you off my skin. Outside the frame is what we're leaving out. You won't remember anyway."

- Queens of the Stone Age, "
Go With the Flow"

I was recently scrolling through my Hotmail Inbox and came across quite a few blasts from the Internet past. Old e-mails from old friends, relatively pointless forwards from distant relatives. It’s amazing to think that in one year’s time, the people who you centered your life around can be seamlessly pushed to the outskirts. Relationships change; that’s no big revelation. But I can't help but think that those people who drift in and out of our lives can often have a much greater impact on who we become than we might realize.

“Hey, it's good to hear from you! College is going really well. I love it! I don't like having roommates at all, though. It sucks. My one roommate never talks to me, the other sleeps around with everyone, and the other one makes me want to rip my fingernails off. But I guess I gotta deal with it. How are things going with you?...”

The first girlfriend. The one who broke your heart before you really even believed that you had one to break. She taught you that there’s a big difference between love and lust; between a crush and a soul mate. You thought she was perfect. As it turns out, it took breaking up with her to see the imperfections you were too love-drunk to see while you were with her. She opened the door for other love to filter through and is part of the reason you were able to find your true companion.

“I read 10 words into this e-mail only to discover that the author had attempted to use the word 'hepatitis' as an adjective. Then it hits me...only one man could be so bold. What's up man? Long time no talk. I'm transferring to University of Iowa in the fall. Apparently intelligence, effort, and the ability to read at a fourth grade level don't factor into their admissions process... Don't be a stranger..."

The grade school pal. You and him were inseparable during your formative youth and were one surgery away from being joined at the hip. You both had the same sense of humor, but you were polar opposites in almost every other facet. You grew up in different types of families, you listened to different types of music, and you applied yourself to different subjects in the classroom. You stayed in contact off and on throughout high school, but once college hit, you realized that most of the reason you stayed friends for as long as you did is because you spent most of your time in the same building. He kept your sense of humor fresh and you wouldn’t have made the long-term friends you’ve made today if it weren’t for him.

“Your latest draft shows a strong progression in the story's narrative. You obviously know how to get into your characters' heads and it shows in the dialogue. Though I can't come up with many suggestions, one thing you may want to keep in mind is that sometimes simpler is better. Not always...but sometimes. Keep pounding away and this will be fantastic.”

Teachers. They may not be at the top of anyone’s list for open influences, but like it or not, they probably molded you more than anyone else did in your teenage years. For me, it was a Senior Year duo: the Video Productions teacher and the English Composition teacher. Since I was 5, all I’ve ever wanted to do with my life is write, but I never knew what the outlet should be. Children’s stories? Poetry? Together, they helped me realize that I should “go big or go home.” Without them, I doubt I would’ve ended up drafting my first screenplay.

"You are in violation of the Brothers Act of 2001. After reviewing your case file, I have found that you have not contacted your brother in over a month!"

Siblings. You don’t always like them. In fact, sometimes you’d go so far as to say that you downright hate them. But like it or not, they’re always there and they’re always family. They can be totally immature, completely incompetent, or incredibly bighearted—sometimes all at once. They give advice, they give grief, they give headaches, and they might even give you a good interest rate when they cosign for your student loan. All in all, they might be part of the biggest life lessons you ever learn.

And then there are those little acquaintances that are scattered all throughout your life. They’re so forgettable but can turn out to have such an impact. No person plays too small a role not to make some sort of difference in where you turn out to be.

Who knew that Hotmail could be such a time capsule? I look forward to cleaning out my e-mails again next year.


This Entry In Song:
The Zutons - "Remember Me"
The Bronx - "Past Lives"

Be Back Soon,
Shaky Jake

No comments:

From IA to LA: The Hillbilly Takes Hollywood