July 12, 2009

Tears of Stone Turn Liquid When Reading One Woman’s Deal With God.

"I'll take fate, I'll take fate on a day by day basis.
I will not wait, I will not wait for what the world may not create."
- Mieka Pauley, "Fate Day By Day"
A lot of people claim to have had a hard life. Their parents scarred them emotionally or they lost a close member of their family at a young age or they become middle-aged un-employees, etc. But very few people (that I know) have had all of those things happen to them during their lifetime. And even fewer come out on the other end still being able to smile.

When Estherleon Schwartz, a regular patron at my place of work, told me she had written and published a book, I was excited and of course, very happy for her. After a small mix-up with Amazon.com (the fault of yours truly, not the online book store), I eventually received my copy of the book entitled “Tears of Stone And My Deal With God.” It’s Esther’s autobiography. Now, before I go any further, I have to say this: if you have not had an interesting life and/or haven’t reached celebrity status, you should not have an autobiography. Period. With that said, Ester deserves to have her life story printed on those 133 pages.


Prior to reading the book, I only knew of Esther as an interesting customer dedicated to keeping her finances in line and putting a smiley face on my day. When I finished her book, however, I couldn’t help but think of how a person struck by tragedy after overwhelming tragedy could remain so positive. A small checklist of her heartbreak: child holocaust survivor, lost two close family members at a young age (her father and brother), left with a chastising and unsupportive mother, closed up life’s work of clothing stores, etc. It goes on to become a substantial what's what of depressing circumstances rolled up into a big smack in the face.

The book is full of Esther's conversational essays and snippets of her own lyrics--from her time as a cantor/singer extraordinaire--and is a surprisingly quick read. (I finished the first half of my copy on the bus ride to work.) Though I can't say that it changed my perspective on life or love or God, it certainly gave me a newfound respect for people who remain faithful after such cumulative adversity. The next time I reflect on my crappy day at work, this book's cover will probably accompany it with a message reading: "quit your whining, ya baby."

I recommend this for people who might need a little reminder of how good they have it.

Check out Esther's website where you can order a copy of Tears of Stone.


This Entry In Song:
Mieka Pauley - "Fate Day By Day"
Carbon Leaf - "Life Less Ordinary"

Be Back Soon,
Shaky Jake

No comments:

From IA to LA: The Hillbilly Takes Hollywood